What hardware do you use?
I switched to a mac a decade ago and have never been happier. My regular laptop is a 2013 Macbook Air and I am patiently waiting for an update, or a lighter retina macbook pro to become available. At home I also use a 2009 Macbook pro. I sometimes ssh between the two machines because I'm too lazy to walk over from the couch to my home office.
I also have an iPhone 6 with a slim Anker battery case. I still love writing and carry my Pen Type B everywhere. Field Notes are an obsession of mine and I try to write down my ideas and thoughts as much as possible.
What software do you use?
For email I still enjoy using Gmail both for my personal email and work. Kiwi for Gmail is my (somewhat buggy) desktop client, and oddly enough, Microsoft's Outlook is the best I've found for ios after Mailbox disappared.
Other tools that keep me sane
- Bartender - The minimalist in me hates clutter. Including on my mac menu bar. Bartender entirely removes icons I don't use and hides others that I rarely need. Nothing more than my calendar and fuzzy clock are on there.
- Fantastical 2 - Sane and pleasing calendering.
- Kaleidoscope + Tower - To reign in some of the git madness.
- Alfred + powerpack - Pretty much everything I do on my mac is automated via a Alfred workflow.
- Clean My Mac - Regularly frees up a ton of space on my hard drive by removing temp files, caches, localizations I don't use and other accumulated cruft.
- Sanebox - Sanebox aggressively filters my email and only leaves important ones in my inbox. Everything else is sorted into Sane News, Sane Bulk, or Sane Later. Email services that won't allow me to unsubscribe get banished to SaneBlackhole 👎. It's quite easy to train or re-train Sanebox.
- 1Password 🤐 for individuals
- Reeder (+ Feedbin) is my trusty RSS reader. RIP Google reader. 😵
- Things app ☑ To sync my todos across all devices
- Pinboard - has been my bookmark manager of choice for the past 6+ years and has a nice cache (~15 gigs)
- I back up my HD to two bootable clones (one at work and one at home) on a semi regular basis using Carbon Copy Cloner.
- For security while traveling (or just outside of familiar networks), I use hideipvpn.
- I run a modified version of Tweetnest to maintain a searchable offsite cache of my tweets and conversation (try finding anything easily on Twitter 😢).
I would love an updated version of the Air. Or the new Macbook but just with USB ports and a full retina screen. Also more RAM than 8 gigs and a bigger hard drive than 500 gigs.
I hope to upgrade to a 4k monitor soon.